I hope your weekend has been a wonderful one. Okay, truth time–raise your hand if you have your Christmas tree up!! If your hand is raised, good on ya! Mine is in the living room and is vertical…but not decorated…yet.
I wanted to share a recent project that happened around the Manor. (If you follow along on Instagram, then you have already seen a glimpse of said project). Mr. Creativity and I purchased our kitchen chairs about 1,000 years ago–give or take. I found some lovely (read: expensive) fabric at that point and we used it to cover the seat cushions. And then along came children… so I covered the existing fabric with plastic. Yes, I know, I know. T. A. C. K. Y. But hear me out… KIDS CAN BE EXTREMELY MESSY WHILE EATING! I actually took a picture of the chair frame once I took off the cushion, but it was so caked with chocolate milk, smooshed corn, smooshed who-knows-what and crumbs from 2002 that I decided to spare you the gory details and not post that snapshot (your stomach should thank me).
The reason for the fabric change was three-fold. The kitchen was just recently painted and this fabric was not cutting it AND the kids had clawed through the plastic covers so their food/drink was getting to the fabric AND I’m in the mood to change things!
I decided to go with a grain-sack look because the vintage grain sacks that I purchased a while back are a little scratchy. So, I bought some duck cloth from JoAnn’s ($3.99/yd) and some fabric paint.
Using painter’s tape, I made patterns on the cloth. Each of the 4 seats that I did have a slightly different pattern.
Then the paint was applied with exact precision… just kidding. Although I would suggest that you don’t brush the paint on TOWARDS the tape, always pull from the tape outward. This helps to ensure that paint doesn’t get under your tape.
Then remove the tape before the paint is completely dry.
Once the paint is completely dry, sand it for an aged feel. (side note: I seem to have an aged feel every morning getting out of bed…)
At this point, I washed the fabric to remove all paint dust. Make sure that you cut your fabric about 15% larger than you actually need it to be due to shrinkage (I didn’t dry the fabric and it still shrunk up a bit). The next step is to spend a full Saturday watching episodes of Call the Midwife on Netflix and stapling the fabric and the plastic covering onto the seat cushion. Call the Midwife is not optional, do not skip this step.
The long cushion is for the bench that goes on the back side of the table. This is the fabric that my curtains will be made with if all of the stars align just so. It has been a crazy game of ‘try to order this fabric before it is all sold out’. Apparently, I don’t have the skillz to win this game just yet. whomp whomp.
VOILA! There you have it! I am loving the look of the fresh creamy whites. The chocolate-milk-caked-food look had been around long enough (while the seat cushions were off I very quickly brushed on some ASCP paint and lacquer). These should look good for a
month or two knowing my kids long time!
On a side note, Mr. Creativity’s great-great grandfather made the table that you see in these pictures. The top of the table was made from tongue and groove flooring. I love that our family uses this table daily for our meals!
Let me know what you think! I can take it!!